DB First Steps:
- Does your SQL server meet the requirements (or multi-module requirements)?
- Have you checked your environment against the list of commonly overlooked requirements?
- Are your DB files stored correctly?
Microsoft SQL Server Resources:
- Top Level: The Transaction Log (2017)
SolarWinds: DB Management/Optimization:
- Review & Adhere To: SQL Server Performance Optimization and Best Practices
- How to spot Performance Issues
- Use SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer
- Use the SQL Activity Monitor
- Resource Waits
- Data File I/O
- SQL Server Configuration
- Why not RAID 5?
- SQL and Memory Consumption
- SQL Server and Virtual Machines
- Review & Adhere To: SQL Database Management Best Practices
- Troubleshoot database size
- Troubleshoot degraded performance
- Review & Adhere TO: SQL Server configuration best practices for NPM
- Maximize SQL Server performance
- Hardware recommendations
- Recommendations for multi-CPU systems, optimal settings of I/O subsystem
- Initial size and autogrowth settings for data files and log files in the tempdb
- Database Recovery Modes
- Settings and Recommendations Checklist
- Review SolarWinds documentation on Optimizing Retained Data
- Find out what tables take up most space in the database
- Set polling settings to defaults
- Set retention settings to defaults
- Optimize log files
Orion Best Practices & Detail Links